K.L.P.O.A. Rules & Regulations
In accordance with the By Laws to the Constitution of KLPOA (Chapter II, Section 2, Part E, Line 9 and Chapter II, Section 1, Part C, Line 5 and Chapter 1, Section 2, Part A). Please keep these Rules & Regulations attached with the Constitution and Bylaws a copy of which is located at www.kemahlake.com.
Dues, Assessments and Initiation Fees
- The annual dues and assessment fee for members of the Kemah Lake Property Owners Association, hereafter known as the KLPOA, are due no later than June 7. If any membership dues whether for prior years or for the current year remain unpaid and outstanding on September 30th, after written notice to the member, KLPOA will file a lien against that member’s property. After payment has been made to satisfy the lien, it is the property owner’s responsibility to have the lien removed.
- Annual dues and assessments may vary from year to year due to changing expenses. The budget is approved each year at the Association’s Spring meeting.
- KLPOA members in good standing and their immediate family are entitled to a current badge for each member of their immediate family. Immediate family means all those related individuals living in and having the same domicile as the property owner.
- A specified number of guest badges will be issued with each membership. The number of guest badges issued to each member will be consistent; however, the number issued at a given year may change if conditions change on our lake and beaches.
- Membership badges must be displayed by all members and their guests. Should any person on lake property be unable to produce their badge upon request of KLPOA security patrol, or other Association member they will be asked to leave KLPOA property. Non-cooperation shall be referred to the State Police. Continued violation of the badge policy may result in membership suspension.
- KLPOA members shall not give or loan their badges to anyone, and specifically to any individual who has the privilege of becoming a member in their own right, but has failed to do so.
- Owners of unimproved property that use or have used KLPOA property have the same obligation as property owners with improved property.
- Members who become delinquent in their dues are obligated to bring their dues up to date before current privileges are granted.
- Non-members and their guests are not permitted the use of our lake, beaches or any property owned by KLPOA. Those who violate this are subject to issuance of a formal complaint signed against the violator.
The Lake Water
- KLPOA retains a licensed lake management company to monitor the lake, fish & wildlife and watershed. Surveys, inspections, testing and maintenance are done on a regular basis to protect the water quality. Treatments are conducted on an as needed basis for algae, invasive weeds, etc. Please check notices on telephone poles and at beaches for any treatment notifications and user restrictions.
- The water level of the lake shall be lowered on or about October 31 by opening the seasonal valve. This will reduce ice damage to the perimeter of the lake as well as allow repairs to perimeter.
- The seasonal valve shall be closed on or about March 31. This will allow the lake to refill for spawning and recreation.
- The valve keys shall be kept by the President and a member in the vicinity of the dam. The names and phone numbers will be published in the newsletter and posted in the dam area. This will provide 24 hour protection in case of emergency.
- The lake emergency drain valve shall be fully cycled every October. This will assure it is functional in case of emergency.
- The privilege of permanently placing any type of boat or recreational water craft (canoes, kayaks, sailboats, paddleboards and boats) on any property owned by the KLPOA is reserved only for members of the Association. Due to concerns of the possibility of unwanted invasive species, only member boats are allowed on Kemah Lake. All boats brought to Kemah Lake must be washed prior to use in the lake to reduce potential for invasive species being introduced. Each and every member’s boat or recreational water craft making use of the KLPOA property must have a member’s name printed and kept legible in a conspicuous location on said vehicle. The “K" decal is also required on the starboard bow of all boats and vehicles.
- Members in good standing who do not own lakefront property may store their kayaks, canoes and john boats on the racks available at either of the two beaches. Boats must be removed at the end of the season.
- No boat or water recreational water craft is to be parked or used in the swimming area at the beaches or on the sand.
- No gasoline motors are permitted on Kemah Lake – electric motors only.
- All electric motors must not exceed 10 HP. Maximum speed is 10 MPH.
- New Jersey requires boats be registered and all water safe rules are followed, including PFDs, etc.
- Boats are permitted up to 24’.
- The various docks placed on the waters of our lake must have the members name printed on the dock in a conspicuous location. These docks must be maintained in good condition so as not to be an eyesore or a hazard to the lake and its members.
- Any dock that is deemed a hazard by the Executive Board will be removed from the lake following notification to the owner and at the owner’s expense.
- The maximum length of a dock is 24’, not to exceed 150 SF. New docks that extend beyond 24’ into the lake from the shoreline must be approved by KLPOA effective April 1, 2021.
- Swim floats must be properly anchored and maintained with reflectors and name on all sides
Open Water Fishing
- All state regulations pertaining to fishing are to be observed and obeyed. Persons 14 years of age and older must wear a valid New Jersey fishing license. In addition to the NJ State Regulations, the size of fish which may be taken:
- Bass must be 15"
- Only one bass per person per day
- All other NJ state fishing regulations will apply
- All bass must be released between 4/15 and 6/15 (This is a NJ Law as bass spawn during this period).
- Pickerel – 15 inches
- Current KLPOA membership or guest badges must be worn by anyone fishing in the waters owned by the Association.
- All white perch that are caught are to be removed from the lake. This will improve the ability to catch larger fish. Unused live bait is not to be discarded into the lake. Dead fish are not to be thrown on land or back into the lake. Please discard at your place of residence.
- The use of any trapping devices for the trapping of turtles or any other fish or wildlife in and around Kemah Lake is strictly prohibited.
- Badges must be worn by all individuals ice fishing on our lake.
- There is no ice fishing permitted in the East Shore Cove behind the Big Island.
- The same rules for open water fishing apply, with the addition of the following:
- No closed or semi-closed fishing shacks or tents are permitted on the lake.
- No open fires are allowed on the lake.
- No bathrooms are provided. Please plan accordingly!
- As determined by the Fish and Wildlife Committee and qualified persons, a closed season on fishing will be established during the ice fishing season from time to time so as to allow the breeder fish to multiply, thus maintaining good fishing for all times. There also may be a limit as to the number of bass and pickerel that may be taken on a daily basis.
- No gas powered motor wheel vehicles or snowmobiles of any kind shall be permitted on the lake. Violators will be referred to the State Police and a complaint will be served.
- Badges must be worn by all individuals using our community beaches.
- No animals are permitted on the community beaches. This includes pets that may be on a leash. Members may take their dogs to the boat launch area for swimming.
- Clean up pet waste and dispose at your residence.
- All types of glass containers are forbidden on the beaches.
- The use of any alcoholic beverages or any type of drugs, classified as illegal by the State of New Jersey, is strictly forbidden. Beer will be permitted only at the annual KLPOA picnic.
- Any picnic on KLPOA property consisting of more than 30 people must have written permission from the Executive Board.
- Use of the pavilion by more than 15 people in one party must fill out a Pavilion reservation form prior to the event. Send request for reservation to email@example.com
- The rights, privileges and comfort of all members and guests must be considered by those using the beaches.
- Beaches close at dusk. No vehicles are permitted after this time at the beaches.
- There is no garbage pickup at the beaches. Please take all trash with you for disposal at your residence. Water safety devices and first aid kits are placed at the beaches for your convenience. Please take care of same. Call 911 in case of emergency.
- Anyone finding a members or guest badge should return it to the Board Treasurer.
- Please take into consideration other members and guests when throwing a Frisbee or a ball. The horseshoe pit is to be shared.
- Throwing rocks or sand is prohibited.
- Children under 16 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian when on the beaches.
- No motor vehicles of any kind are permitted on the sand or grassy areas of the beaches.
- No personal property should be left on the PARKING LOTS of the big beach and the little beach for safety reasons and to maximize parking.
- In the event a beach is closed for swimming, KLPOA will post a notice at said beach and notify Members in good standing by email and on our website. Notification will also occur when the beach reopens for swimming.
- THE USE OF ANY KLPOA PROPERTY AND THE LAKE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Pavilion & Big Beach:
- KLPOA members may reserve the Pavilion and share the beach with the approval of the Board.
- Reservation forms are required for groups of 15 or more, and groups of 30 or more must provide a port-a-john.
- The use of the beach and parking must be shared with members and guests.
- Swimming is permitted within the roped off area and swim float.
- The beach closes at dusk and other rules apply.
- The islands are for the use of KLPOA members only
- Badges must be worn by all individuals using the islands
- No open fires
- No camping allowed
- No vandalism
- No littering
- No alcoholic beverages of any kind
- All types of glass containers are forbidden
- Hours of use are from dawn to dusk
Good Neighbor Policy
- It is the obligation of each and every individual making use of the KLPOA property to protect and assist whenever possible in keeping our land and waters as sanitary, safe and as beautiful as possible.
- Do not throw any type of debris on the beaches or into the lake. Please keep leaves, branches, weeds and grass clippings out of the lake. Please advise your landscaper or lawn service provider.
- Phosphate free laundry detergent must be used. Plant and lawn fertilizers must be phosphate free and slow release. NJ DEP rules prohibit fertilizing within 10 feet of the lake. Insure landscapers and lawn services follow these rules.
- Have your septic tank cleaned every 3 years for full time residents and 6 years for part time residents. Check your septic system and leach field regularly to insure it is properly operating.
- Do not allow your pets to run loose or bark excessively while outside; this is also a violation of the local ordinance.
- Snowmobiles and unlicensed motorbikes are not permitted on the roads or on KLPOA property.
- No loud music is permitted after 10 pm (Hampton Township noise ordinances).
- Report any damage to KLPOA property or pollution of the lake to any Board member.
- Please keep an eye on your neighbor’s house and property, should they be summer residents or on vacation.
- Properties owned by the Association, at various locations around the lake, may be used by members in good standing to access the lake for swimming and recreation. No furniture, docks, floats or any type of watercraft should be left at these locations after dusk.
- Properties owned by the Association shall not be used as a dumping ground, shall not have trees or soil removed, and shall not be used for storage of personal items without the expressed written approval of the Board following submission of a written request by the Member.
- WHEN USING ANY KLPOA PROPERTY HAVE YOUR BADGES AVAILABLE TO SHOW UPON REQUEST. ALL OF US NEED TO PARTICIPATE TO KEEP KLPOA MEMBERS SAFE AND FOR USE ONLY BY THE ACTIVE MEMBERS IN GOOD STANDING. IMPORTANT: THE USE OF ANY KLPOA PROPERTY IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. ALL ASSOCIATION PROPERTY MAY ONLY BE USED FROM DAWN TO DUSK! CONTINUOUS VIOLATION OF THE RULES AND REGULATIONS, IF SO DETERMINED BY THE EXECUTIVE BOARD, COULD MEAN REFUSAL OF LAKE MEMBERSHIP, WITH THE LOSS OF USE OF THE LAKE AND ALL ITS PROPERTIES, TO YOU, YOUR FAMILY AND YOUR GUESTS. THE KLPOA EXECUTIVE BOARD WILL SIGN COMPLAINTS AND/OR REFER MATTERS TO THE STATE POLICE FOR FURTHER ACTION.
These Rules and Regulations are supplemental to the Constitution and By-Laws of the KLPOA which can be located on www.kemahlake.com.
Updated March 2021